Tuesday, December 23, 2025

Aspirations for the new year

Some ideas/projects/ aspirations/ challenges
  • To read Chekhov complete stories
  • A Dickens
  • A Dostoevsky (not keen on C&P, but who knows, maybe. There's Demons. Or if nothing else, can re-read the Idiot. Quite liked it.)
  • To read Nehru's Glimpses of World History (a long time aspiration). And for motivation, read this blog.
  • Ulysses before June 16th so that can reread some bits that day. (Big goal this one! I picked it up this year on June 16th, but the bookmark is still somewhere less than a third)
  • A Woolf - Either read To The Lighthouse or read the Waves. 
  • 3 Shakespeare plays (rereads ok)
  • Milton's Paradise Lost. Read slowly again
  • And a real challenge is to read all essays by Orwell. At least fifty found here. Not sure how this goes, but at least putting it down here.
General notes:
  • To keep a similar pace as this year's
  • To keep reading wide - lots of countries, lots of translation
  • Poet prose reads - something every now and then.
    • Malte Briggs.
    • Redress of Poetry or Finders Keepers
  • Poem readings, and noting down. Often.


Later, when I had sat with the above for a while. I realise I prefer to keep it simple. Hence:
  • Read a lot. Whenever you can. 
  • Read slowly.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment